About the recipe:
Chicken biryani is a tasty, spicy and mouth watering dish. It is believed to have been originated from Persia.In India biryani has evolved according to regional tastes and has taken forms as Lucknow biryani, Hyderabad biryani, Kolkatta biryani, Malabar biryani, Ambur biryani and many more. This biryani recipe below has more influence from Ambur biryani prepared in south India but with a few changes in the spices and type of rice used.
- Basmati rice – 2 cups.
- Chicken Legs – 2
- Onion sliced – 1
- Tomato sliced – 2(small size)
- Green chilies – 2
- Curd – 1 cup
- Whole spices – 2 spoons (Cinnamon sticks,cardamom, cloves, star anise)
- Oil – As per personal preference
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 spoons
- Mint – 50 gms
- Coriander leaves – 50gms
- Chili powder – 2 spoons
- Coriander powder – 1 spoon
- Cumin powder – 1/2 spoon
- Garam masla – 1/2 spoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 spoon
- Salt to taste
For best results the following should be followed:
- Soak the Basmati rice for one hour before cooking.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours. If the chicken is marinated overnight in the fridge(not freezer), the meat will be more tender and juicier.
- Before cooking add the rice and twice its quantity of water to the pressure cooker and make a note of the level to which the mixture occupies in the pressure cooker. This should be done because rice absorbs moisture when soaked, so adding twice the quantity of water to it while cooking will make the biryani mashy.
- Slow cooking using a pressure cooker is the best method as it allows slow escape of moisture which is the key in cooking biryani.
- The above mentioned spices can be adjusted as per personal preference.
- Wash the chicken pieces thoroughly and make gashes to it.
- Add curd,chili,coriander,cumin and turmeric powder, garam masala and rub all over the chicken and well into the gashes.
- Add oil to the pressure cooker and add the whole spices and fry till the flavors infuse into the oil.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell is gone and add the required salt.
- Add the sliced onions and fry till they turn slight brown in color.
- Add tomatoes and fry till they start loosing their shape.
- Now add the marinated mixture to the cooker, then add chopped mint leaves, now close the pressure cooker with the whistle on it and change the flame to sim. Note that the mixture should cook in low flame for 20 minutes but the cooker should not whistle.
- After 20 minutes allow the cooker to depressurize naturally and then add the soaked rice to the cooker. See to it that level of water is upto the level we had marked earlier.By practice we will know that this level will be just equal to soak all the ingredients.
- Now close the cooker with the whistle on it and keep the flame in sim and allow the biryani to cook like this for another 20 minutes. Please note that the heat should be to a level that the cooker does not whistle for the entire 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes allow the cooker to depressurize naturally. Then open the lid and sprinkle chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot. Mouth watering chicken biryani is ready.