Chicken Dum Biryani
About the recipe:
Chicken biryani is a tasty, spicy and mouth watering dish. In traditional dum cooking, a thick bottom hundi is used and it is sealed using roti dough. The biryani is cooked from both side by placing hot coal on the top. Its a very tiresome process. These conditions can be mimicked by using a thick bottom pressure cooker. Check the recipe below.
- Basmati rice –3 cups.
- Chicken – 1/2 kg
- Onion sliced – 1
- Curd – 1 cup
- Whole spices – 2 spoons (Cinnamon sticks,cardamom, cloves, star anise)
- Oil – As per personal preference
- Grated ginger – 1 spoon
- Grated garlic – 1 spoon
- Mint – 50 gms
- Coriander leaves – 50gms
- Chili powder – 2 spoons
- Garam masla – 1/2 spoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 spoon
- Salt to taste
For best results the following should be followed:
- Soak the Basmati rice for one hour before cooking.
- Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours. If the chicken is marinated overnight in the fridge(not freezer), the meat will be more tender and juicier.
- The above mentioned spices can be adjusted as per personal preference.
- Use a thick bottom Pressure cooker.
- Do not use an oversize cooker. There should not be more space after layering the biryani.
- Wash the chicken pieces thoroughly and make gashes to it.
- Add curd,coriander,mint,chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder, garam masala and rub all over the chicken and well into the gashes.
- Fry the onions until they turn brown. Add this to the marinated chicken.
- Add Oil and mix well and marinate.
- Add salt and whole spices to the soaked rice and boil until 70% done.
- Layer the marinated chicken in a pressure cooker.
- Layer the boiled rice on top of the chicken.
- Cook on high flame for 10 minutes.
- Then cook on the very low flame for 45 minutes.
- After a resting time of 10 minutes, Biryani is ready to serve.