About the recipe:
Dal gosht is a recipe that combines the falvors of lentils and meat. Its a tasty combination of channa dal and mutton. The slow cooked mutton and lentils infuse their wonderful flavors into the sauce making the recipe irressistible.
- Onion – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Ginger paste – 1 spoon
- Garlic paste – 1 spoon
- Mutton – 1/2 kg (with bones)
- Channa dal – 1/2 cup (soaked in water for 1/2 an hour and boiled until half done)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 spoon
- Chili powder – 1 spoon
- Kashmiri mirch powder – 1/2 spoon
- Garam masala – 1/2 spoon
- Whole spices – 2 spoons (Cinnamon sticks,cardamom, cloves, star anise, fennel seeds, cumin seeds)
- Salt to taste
- Add oil to a hot pan and add the whole spices. Saute until they infuse their flavors into the oil.
- Add ginger and garlic paste. Add onion, turmeric powder and saute until onions turn light brown
- Add tomatoes. Add chili powder, kashmiri mirch powder, garam masala and salt. Saute till the tomatoes are mashy.
- Add the half cooked channa dal and mutton and cook it covered in a slow flame.
- It will approximately take 40 mins for the mutton and the dal to be cooked to perfection. The cooking time may vary depending on the quality of the ingredients.
- Add water if necessary. After about 40 mins the most flavorful dal gosht will be ready. Serve with any bread.