Gulab jamun with milk powder
About the recipe:
Gulab jamun is a delicious desert for any occasion. Its traditionally made with khoya(Thickened milk). This recipe is a good alternative in the places where khoya is not available. Gulab jamuns with ice cream is the best combination.
- Milk powder – 2 cups
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Maida – 2 spoons
- Sooji (rava) – 2 spoons
- Baking powder – 1/2 spoon
- Butter – 2 spoons
- Oil to fry
- Lemon juice – 1 spoon
- Elaichi – 2
- Take sugar in a vessel and add 2 cups of water, lemon juice and elaichi and heat till single string consistency is reached. (when you touch the syrup between the thumb and forefinger, it should stretch in the form of a single thread)
- Soak sooji in water for 5 mins.
- Now add milk powder to a boil and incorporate the butter in to it. Then add baking powder, maida, strained sooji and mix well. Add milk while mixing to form a dough. Do not knead too much, it will make the jamuns very hard.
- Make small balls. Heat the oil and fry the jamuns in slow flame. The jamuns should cook ateast 5 to 7 mins till the gold color is reached, If the color comes early then the oil is too hot and jamuns will not soak well. A tip here is to keep rotating the spatula in circular motion through out the process so that even coloring is achieved.
- Add the fried jamuns in the hot syrup. Serve after half an hour of soaking.