Haryali mutton biryani
About the recipe:
Haryali mutton biryani is a very flavorful dish which combines spices, mint leaves, coriander leaves and mutton. This mouth watering dish will leave you wanting for more.
- Basmati rice – 2 cups.
- Mutton – 1/4 kg
- Onion sliced – 1
- Green chilies – 4
- Curd – 1 cup
- Whole spices – 2 spoons (Cinnamon sticks,cardamom, cloves, star anise)
- Oil – As per personal preference
- Ginger piece – 1/2 inch
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Mint – 100 gms
- Coriander leaves – 100gms
- Chili powder – 1 spoons
- Garam masla – 1/2 spoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 spoon
- Salt to taste
For best results the following should be followed:
- Soak the Basmati rice for one hour before cooking.
- Marinate the mutton for at least 2 hours.
- Before cooking add the rice and twice its quantity of water to the pressure cooker and make a note of the level to which the mixture occupies in the pressure cooker. This should be done because rice absorbs moisture when soaked, so adding twice the quantity of water to it while cooking will make the biryani mashy.
- Slow cooking using a pressure cooker is the best method as it allows slow escape of moisture which is the key in cooking biryani.
- The above mentioned spices can be adjusted as per personal preference.
- Add curd,salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala to the mutton and marinate for 2 hours.
- Add a spoon of oil to a pan and add green chilies, garlic and ginger and saute well. Then add mint and coriander leaves and saute for a minute or two. Let the mixture cool and then grind it into a paste.
- Now add oil to a pressure cooker, add sliced onion and saute well until they turn light brown.
- Add the mint coriander paste and the marinated mutton and mix well. Now close the pressure cooker with the whistle on it and change the flame to sim. Note that the mixture should cook in low flame for 20 minutes but the cooker should not whistle.
- After 20 minutes allow the cooker to depressurize naturally and then add the soaked rice to the cooker. See to it that level of water is upto the level we had marked earlier.By practice we will know that this level will be just equal to soak all the ingredients.
- Now close the cooker with the whistle on it and keep the flame in sim and allow the biryani to cook like this for another 20 minutes. Please note that the heat should be to a level that the cooker does not whistle for the entire 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes allow the cooker to depressurize naturally. Then open the lid and sprinkle chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot. Mouth watering Haryali mutton biryani is ready.