Mixed vegetable shakshuka
About the recipe:
Shakshuka is a North African recipe in which egg is poached in a sauce cooked with onion, peppers and tomato.Here is my twist to this interesting recipe, I have added mixed vegetables to make the dish a more healthier option. One serving of this recipe is packed with the required protein from the egg and goodness from the vegetables and can be a fulfilling meal.This can be served with any bread.
- Onion chopped – 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes chopped – 1 cup
- Mixed vegetables finely chopped – 1 cup(Peas, potato, carrot, capsicum)
- Grated garlic – 1 spoon
- Eggs – 3
- Paprika/chili powder – 1/2 spoon
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- Mint to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan,add onions, garlic and salt and saute till they turn light brown. Adding salt early will make the onions sweat so cooking happens fast.
- Now add the mixed vegetables and cook them covered for 10 minutes.
- Then add tomatoes and paprika/chili powder and cook till the tomatoes come to a mashy consistency. The mixture should neither be too thick nor too runny.
- Make small wells and crack open eggs into them. A tip here is to crack the eggs in a separate bowl and pour into the well.
- Sprinkle mint and cook the recipe covered on a slow flame. You can pop the pan into the oven and cook at this stage if you prefer. I prefer cooking it on the stove.
- Cook till the eggs are cooked according to your taste. I prefer the yolk to be a little runny so I stopped at that state. Serve hot.