About the recipe:
Shami kebab is a delicious snack made of meat, spices and chickpea. It will serve as a great starter for any party or as an evening snack. This can be made with any meat but best tastes with lamb or mutton.
- Mutton(with bones) – 1/4 kg
- Chickpeas(Bengal gram) – 1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 spoon
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
- Cardamom – 2
- Star anise – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Shahi jeera – 1/2 spoon
- Pepper – 1/2 spoon
- Coriander seeds – 1 spoon
- Dry red chili – 4
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Onion – 1/4
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric – 1/2 spoon
- Coriander leaves
- Egg – 1
- Soak the chickpeas for half an hour before cooking.
- This can be done with ground meat but I prefer cooking with the bones and removing them later on. The bones add a special flavour and taste to the dish.
- Add the mutton, all the whole spices, dry red chili, ginger, garlic, onion in a pressure cooker and cook on medium flame upto 6 to 7 whistles. Traditionally its cooked in a hundi till the meat gets tender but its a very time consuming process.
- After the pressure has come down remove the larger spices like cinnamon, star anise and bones from the mixture.
- Add salt and turmeric and cook on high flame till all the water evaporates. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Then put it in the blender and blend it until it forms a dough like consistency. Traditionally the mixture is pounded in a pestle to get a coarse treadlike mixture.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Beat egg in a bowl
- Make small round shapped patties, dip it in the beaten egg and shallow fry in oil till it turns golden brown.
- Serve with mint chutney.