About the recipe:
Yakhni pulao is a mild and tasty pulao. Yakhni means stock.This pulao can be made with any meat but it tastes best with mutton.
- Mutton – 1/4 kg
- Rice – 2 cups (basmati)
- Onion – 1 (sliced), 1 (cut into 4 large pieces)
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Green chili – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 spoon
- Green chili paste – 1 spoon
- Black pepper – 2 spoons
- Cloves – 8
- Star anise – 2
- Cardomom – 4
- Bay leaf – 2
- Shahi jeera – 2 spoons
- Cinnamon – 2 (1 inch piece)
- Fennel seeds – 2 spoons
- Curd – half a cup
- Ghee (clarified butter)
- Salt to taste
- Its traditionally prepared in a hundi but I used a pressure cooker. Extraction of the stock takes a longer time in a hundi.
- Soak the rice in water for atleast half an hour before cooking.
- Take a pressure cooker add the mutton, large onion pieces, garlic, ginger, green chili, half a spoon salt, half the quantity of the whole spices, one spoon pepper, 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Strain the stock and the meat and keep it aside.
- Add ghee to the pressure cooker and add sliced onion. Fry until they turn dark brown.This fried onion is the reason for the color of the pulao. Take a little and keep aside for garnishing.
- Then add a little water to reduce the heat.
- Add whole spice, pepper, ginger garlic paste, green chili paste and fry until the raw smell is gone.
- Add curd and the cooked meat and fry until ghee seperates and floats on top.
- Now add the stock and check for the salt. Add salt if needed.
- Add the soaked rice.
- Water should be only half a centimeter above the rice and meat.
- Keep a high flame and stir without breaking the rice until 95% of the water evaporates.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook in the lowest flame for 15 mins. (Traditionally a dum is put at this stage)
- Let the pulao rest for 10 mins undisturbed.
- Garnish with the fried onion and enjoy this tasty yakhni pulao.